Thursday, June 11, 2009

Snookums launched!

Katja writing:

Coby set off from the West Basin Moorage in Astoria bound for New Zealand via Hilo and Samoa, some time after 9:40, after a proper blessing ceremony.  Ali, Larry, Deborah and I saw him off. Details to follow.

Many thanks to Ali, Dave, Scott, Ciaran, Deborah, John and Larry and all who journeyed out to Astoria to help him launch. You helped make his dream!

Larry and I traveled to the observation tower on the jetty and were able to watch his departure from near buoy 10 until he was out to sea. 

He progressed from motoring to the main sail, then adding foresail, though he kept the motor going until across the bar. He passed buoy 1 around 12:20 p.m.

Snookums looked as if she was enjoying taking the wind. He reported being well sprayed as he hoisted the foresail, and having fun. He sounded exhilarated. 

He saw a dolphin! Felt very auspicious. 

I watched until the sails were two tiny dots shimmering through the atmosphere and mist, and I lost them. Around the same time we lost phone contact, but not before we said: Aloha.

Bless every one of you who helped him to fulfill this lifelong dream.



1 comment:

  1. It is my profound pleasure to have helped as I could, For I too wish to return to the sea, and someday,, I may call on my friends,, to see me off. I wish the best of good favor to Coby and Katja, and any support that I can offer, I will be glad too.
    Fair Winds and Friendly Seas
    on the wings of the eagles.

    ReplyDelete